I am a big fan of frangipane because it’s quick to make, keeps in the fridge for a few days and tastes great. This tart recipe is based on using frangipane and I made it for Episode 2 of The Great British Bake Off. One tip I got from the judge, Paul Hollywood, was to use the strawberries outer edge on top of the frangipane to avoid the juice seeping through into the frangipane. Great tip!
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 100g cold unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ice cold water
For the frangipane
- 112g soft unsalted butter
- 112g caster sugar
- 85g ground almonds
- 25g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp strawberry juice or 1 tbsp strawberry cordial
For the filling and decoration
- Strawberry jam
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Handful of basil leaves
- 24 very small fresh strawberries
- 24 very small basil leaves
- Little tart cases or 2 x 12 hole tart tins
- 7.5 cm biscuit cutter
- A food processor
- A KitchenAid or electric mixer
To make them
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Make the pastry. Put the flour, icing sugar, salt and cold butter (cut in cubes) into food processor and blitz til fine breadcrumbs
- Beat egg and lemon juice and water together in a small jug and then pour this slowly into the flour, with the processor on, until it comes together.
- Take the pastry out of the processor and knead it lightly using fingertips on a floured surface and shape it into a ball.
- Wrap this in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- While that is in the fridge, make the frangipane. Cream the butter and sugar in KitchenAid using the paddle attachment on speed 6 until white and fluffy.
- Meanwhile mix the flour and ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and set aside
- When the creamed mix is white and fluffy, add a little egg and flour and almond mixture and blitz til combined. Repeat with the remainder of the egg a little at a time.
- Add strawberry cordial or juice and rest of the flour
- Grease a mini tart tray with butter
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 24 rounds using a fluted edge 7.5 inch biscuit cutter. I roll it out under the cling film to avoid touching it.
- Gently place the cutout pastry into the tart trays.
- Prick the pastry all over gently with a fork and line with foil and baking beads. Then bake this until lightly golden.
- Once the tarts are cooled, place thin layer of strawberry jam into the centre and using a knife as if frosting a cupcake, smooth over roughly ½ tsp frangipane mixture. It should be level with the pastry sides.
- Bake for approx 15-20 minutes or until golden on top.
- While they are baking, make the basil glaze. In a small pan, melt the sugar, water and fresh basil over a low heat until syrupy consistency. (Approx 115C) and then allow this to cool.
- When it’s cooled, glaze sliced strawberries with it and set aside.
- Once the tarts are cooled, place a small basil leaf on top, a glazed strawberry on top of the leaf.