This is a super simple, super quick frittata recipe. I’ve used it for my girls in their school picnicsand I thought I’d post the recipe up to honour Italy’s win over England in Euro 2012 Quarter Finals. You can make all sorts of substitutions with whatever fillings you like. You can also pour the mixture into a greased mini muffin tin for some simple canapés.
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Handful chopped spinach
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 125g fresh mozzarella
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh basil
- 20cm square cake tin, 20cm deep round cake tin or similar sized roasting tin
To make it
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line the cake tin or roasting tin
- Whisk up the eggs and set aside
- Slice the onion finely and fry gently in a deep frying pan til it’s lightly browned.
- Mince the garlic and stir in.
- Turn the heat off and pour the eggs over the onions and garlic.
- Chop the spinach and stir through the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake/roasting tin.
- Plop the cherry tomatoes on top and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven, scatter over some of the torn mozzarella and fresh basil leaves and pop it back into the oven to melt the cheese.
- Take it out and leave to cool slightly before taking it out of the tin.
You can eat this hot or cold. We like it with lots of green salad and some sodabread.