I’m not a big jam maker but I do love a little something with cheese. I came across lots of recipes for olive jam with sweet fruits but I decided to pair this one with lemons to keep that tangy taste.
- 175g black olives (unpitted)
- 80g green olives (unpitted)
- 150g sugar
- 150ml water
- 1 medium sized lemon
- 1 small apple
- 40ml honey
To make it
- Soak the olives in a bowl of cold water overnight to get rid of the salt and brine.
- Clean and rinse them and pour over some fresh water and bring them to the boil.
- gently simmer them for about 10 minutes then drain.
- Clean the saucepan and pour in the water and sugar and pop this onto a medium heat.
- Add strips of lemon zest and then thinly slice the lemon and add it in.
- Let this simmer for about 15 minutes until it has reduced in size.
- Pour into a bowl through a sieve and push as much of the lemon pulp out as you can.
- Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and add the drained olives and roughly chopped apple.
- Bring this to a simmer until the apple softens into a mush and then take it off the heat.
- Let it cool slightly and then blend in a food processor.
- Pour it into a sterlised jar and enjoy with cheese and crackers when you get late night munchies!