These cupcakes are a great choice if you like citrusy flavours in cake. As you may have seen on Episode 1 of the Great British Bake Off I am not a huge fan of sugar flowers – well I am a fan but I’m just rubbish at making these tiny things! So I use fresh flowers in my decoration and I think they look lovely even if you can’t always eat them! Read more about yuzu.
For the cupcakes
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 40g soft unsalted butter
- 100ml whole milk
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 20ml yuzu juice
For the frosting and decoration
- 300g icing sugar
- 100 soft unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp full fat milk
- 3 tbsp yuzu juice
- Yellow food colouring
- 12 fresh orchid flower heads to decorate
- A KitchenAid or hand mixer
- A 12 hole muffin tin
- 12 white or yellow cupcake cakes
To make them
- Preheat your oven to 170C
- Layout two 12 hole muffin trays with cupcake cases and put aside
- Lightly whisk the milk and egg together and set aside
- Put the flour, sugar, butter and baking powder into the KitchenAid with a paddle attachment and mix on low then high speed until everything is combined and it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add the milk and egg mixture until it is all combined.
- Stir in the yuzu juice (you can add more to your taste, its quite strong though).
- Divide the mixture between cupcake cases (approx 30-35g per case) and bake on middle shelf for 15-20 minutes or until just brown. A cocktail stick inserted should come out clean.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and leave them in the tray to cool then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting put the icing sugar and butter into KitchenAid and blitz on very slow speed until in comes together. I usually cover the whole thing with a damp tea towel to prevent and icing sugar cloud.
- Add the milk and blitz at faster speed until it’s light and fluffy.
- Stir in the yuzu juice to flavour and a few drops of yellow food colouring to give a very light yellow colour.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cool spoon or pipe the frosting on top.